Tuesday, May 31, 2011

*SNIFF* Smells like a Monday to me.

This didn't feel in any way like a long weekend. It just doesn't seem possible it was three days long. Am I alone in this?


We went to go pay our respects to his father on Sunday. It's quite moving see all of the flags out. He's interred at a veteran's cemetery in Exeter, RI, down by the ocean, so there was a snappy ocean breeze that had all the flags at full attention. It's a beautiful, serene place. So so big though. Just one field after another after another. Very sobering.

It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since his father passed away. A whole year. o_0
********************
Other than that I started a pair of Obliviate mitts and then undid them and put them away because I need to rethink the pattern numbers/yarn/needle situation. 

Started, then undid, then restarted a pair of socks for him. (Sorted out now so we're good to go.)
 Grill season is in full swing now with the endless parade of hot dogs, burgers, chicken and grilled veggies. I love summer eating so so so much. No pans, hell, no real PLATES either. And lots of fresh, simply prepared ingredients. 
Even better, I'm kinda 'off' bread again (much to the chagrin of my husband who is horrified at the sight of 'naked' hamburgers) so it's all GOOD for you eats too. I'm determined to have a much better annual physical come September than last year's physical so the less bread the better - for ME - because I really don't need the extra carbs. (I like to save them for the REALLY good stuff. :)

(Note: I'm not much of a bun-lover (harharhar) anyway so getting rid of them, for me, doesn't hurt as much as, say, getting rid of potatoes. Now *that* hurts.)
*********************

I feel like this is going to be a slow week so maybe a giveaway is in order? I have 123234 pounds of extra beads to give away - just need to get off mah butt and put it together for you guys. :)

11 comments:

gracie said...

Yes, the Veteran's Cemetary in Exeter is so serene...my dad is buried there. I like your grilled feast.....I had to tell myself it was Tuesday!

Margaret said...

That really is sobering to see the cemetery like that. The BBQ looks really good! Bummer about ripping the mitts. Hope you figure the pattern out.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmm...gotta love BBQ season.

Annie said...

Sounds like you did all the right things for observing Memorial Day.

Some fine healthy food on that grill! You sure don't need the hamburger buns with all that goodness to eat.

valerie said...

Ugh...totally feels like Monday! But luckily it's Tuesday. The weekend will come around faster. Yay!

Yummy grilling! I wish I could cut out bread. I can be good but out completely?! No way! Potatoes...eh. Unless they are fried...then it's hard to resist!

Sylvia said...

Wonderful pictures of the cemetery - both my stepdad & FIL are buried at a military cemetery.

I like the picture of your veggies even more. We have skipped the bun on our burgers for years now. One of my children had celiac disease, so it was an easy decisions to drop it. I hear you on the potatoes though... and pasta. I have a hard time with those. Of course, the bread here is so good - its another big struggle

Jackie's Stitches said...

We had grilled kabobs yesterday too. Beef with veggies. Thankfully in Florida, we can easily grill year round. And we do - at least twice a week. I don't like to think on what it would be like without a grill.

Beth said...

All I have to says is, Bun or no bun - yummmm!

Carol said...

I'll bet that was quite a sight at the veteran's cemetery, Melanie--such brave men and women. I know I'll never forget visiting Arlington National Cemetery one Memorial Day...

Oh, I could never give up bread! Good luck to you! That and chocolate are my two favorite foods in the world. We rarely have potatoes anymore now that the boys are grown and gone. I always think I eat healthier in the summer--much better at eating fruits, that's for sure!

Pumpkin said...

Horray for BBQ season!!!! Woohoo :o)

Siobhán said...

I made my husband come in and look at the grilling photos--YUMo!