Wednesday, March 02, 2011

So much sadness lately.

First it was a couple weeks ago with a person I knew for almost a decade on Livejournal. Just *poof* and she was gone in her sleep, at age 47. No warning at all.
Then one of my husband co-workers also passed away in his sleep, at age 51. He was a runner and in (seemingly) perfect health.
And now Lisa, who've I've followed online for a quite a while. 
Just a terrible, terrible cloud hanging over everything lately. My heart breaks for all of their families and loved ones.

It really makes you step back and reexamine your priorities. Or at least it does for me.

I was a little sick this weekend, out of the blue, for what reason?? I don't know. I just woke up Saturday sneezing every 10 seconds with leaky eyes and a floaty head but some allergy meds beat it back and it was gone by Monday morning. Not sure what that was about but I'm grateful it didn't hang around for long. Maybe it was just allergies though because Maggie's allergies have been driving her insane lately so something is in the air. (Weird fact: the cat and I take the same allergy medicine. Literally. OTC drug, only she gets half a pill and I take a whole one. lol This is the new thing for cat's with allergies, I guess, vs. dragging them in every other month for a steroid shot. Doesn't seem to work as well though because she's been walking around with a nasty hot spot on her shoulder despite the meds. Grrr.)

Here is my sweater progress for last week:
Maggie loves to act as photo assistant. :)

So for the week I got  a couple inches done on the bottom, the woven band (which KILLED my hands!@!) and up to the shoulders. (I finished the left shoulder bit last night.) It said to block it before doing the sleeves but I'm not sure why? I'm not into doing a whole big wet blocking unless the WHOLE THING is finished so I just laid it out and sprayed it a bit using a spray bottle. It seems like a waste of time to do an aggressive blocking at this point?? Am I wrong, anyone??? Thankfully, the sizing seems to be okay so far. I was worried it was too short but I tried it on and it falls on the long side of my hips. Now I'm worried that the arm hole openings seem too big so the sleeves will be huge, etc.........we'll see how it works out. :)

I'm kind of ready for this project to be done, to be honest. I've been faithful to it for 3 weeks now and my interest is waning. I'm ready to dig into some stitchy projects and another pair of socks. Oh woe is me and my short attention span. lolol

10 comments:

Pretty Things said...

Oh man. I'm sorry. We lost a very healthy friend at a similar age that way, too. Awful. And it puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

I love your sweater, too!

valerie said...

Sorry to hear about your friends as well as Lisa. It seems to be a dark start to the year...

Your sweater is coming along great! Love the color and the kitty model! Maybe she is allergic to her own hair. She's a poufy, pretty kitty! ;-)

Margaret said...

I'm so sorry for all your sad news. So many losses to face. :( I knew Lisa, but only through online friendships. I never had a chance to meet her in person -- I wish I had. I'm still in shock over her passing.

Your sweater looks great! Isn't it awful how one's interest wanes before a project is done? You can do it -- just think how happy you'll be when it's done!

Hope you're feeling better.

Sylvia said...

I think you are right Melanie, this sadness is just hanging in the air - even over here. We lost two service men in Frankfurt yesterday when a gunman opened fire on their bus - so senseless. Lisa's passing is a terrible shock.

Your sweater is looking fantastic!! You will be wearing it in no time. Strange that they are asking you to block it in the middle of the project... but good that you did it anyway. I am glad the sizing is working out.

KarenV said...

I'm sorry for your losses and of course, for Lisa. Like others, I'm still in shock over what happened to her, it hardly seems real. It seems to be that kind of year - my in-laws were saying at the weekend that they have attended 6 funerals already this year :( It does make you stop and think, especially with the deaths of relatively young people. Such a sad week :(

I love your kitty, she's so fluffy! And such a sweet face :) Your sweater is looking fabulous, keep going, you're so close to being done! I kind of wish I was still into knitting clothes, but I think I might have left that phase behind, sadly.

Laurie said...

I am so sorry for all the losses you've experienced lately. Your sweater is looking wonderful as is, of course, that beautiful kitty.

Stitch By Stitch said...

I'm so sorry about the sadness you have been experiencing lately. Oh the power of prayer to get us through.
Your sweater is coming along wonderfully though!

Pumpkin said...

I hear you! It hasn't been a good year so far :o( I'm sorry to hear that you've been affected by loss as well.

I think your sweater looks great but then what do I know about knitting??? LOL!

Siobhán said...

I'm sorry for all the losses you've had recently. Losing Lisa has been terrible but I will always remember her and pray for her family.

Your sweater looks great! And hey, 3 weeks on one project?? Seriously, I'm lucky if I manage 3 HOURS on one project. Good for you!

Lisa said...

The whole Cathy thing still has me pretty messed up to be honest. I am sorry for all of the losses in your life. Its strange to think those people are just plucked off earth.