Saturday, February 05, 2011

NOM NOM NOM

We don't really watch the Super Bowl in this house (we're more of a NASCAR family and nothing else, though I'm tired of that too now) but I do love the lead-up to it as people post all the yummy-nummy foodie things they are planning to make or want to make, etc. 

One thing I saw last week was these Buffalo Chicken meatballs on the Martha Stewart show. DING! DING! DING! I loves me some Buffalo Wings and Frank's Red Hot sauce so I *had* to make these. 

Oh. My. God. are they good! 
NOM. NOM. NOM.

I followed the recipe as is EXCEPT instead of using the ONE STICK of butter it calls for - I used 4 tablespoons. You won't miss the extra butter - I swear. (Though if you are on good speaking terms with your cardiologist, maybe go for the full stick?) Oh and I ditched the 2 TB olive oil for the sheet pan. Uhh, spray oil anyone? lol
Doing it that way they came out to be 51 calories each with 44 total meatballs**. I figure I can shave that down even more next time (AND THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME) if I use Egg Beaters instead of 2 whole eggs and maybe trim the breadcrumbs a little.(Anyone have any experience using Egg Beaters in meatloaves and the like instead of whole eggs? I've been meaning to try that out to cut down on calories/cholesterol but *keep forgetting*. Grrr!)

They were great with baked potatoes, celery sticks and more Frank's dribbled over them.
ENJOY YOUR GAME DAY WEEKEND, Y'ALL, no matter what you are doing!! :)


**This is based on grinding my own chicken breast. I can't find pre-ground chicken in the supermarkets around here but once in a blue moon so we ran skinless chicken breasts through the grinder attachment for my KA mixer instead. (Which is INDESCRIBABLY GROSS BY THE WAY. I don't even like the *sound* of meat grinding. *hurl* ) I have no idea what parts they use for store-bought ground chicken so the calories when using that might be higher?

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Mmmmm, sounds good! We don't do the Super Bowl. Don't even follow football. lol! But this recipe looks great! Grinding your own chicken -- you're a brave woman!

Meadows08 said...

I've already printed this recipe off! Thanks for the link :)

Nancy said...

These look delicious and definitely something my husband and I would enjoy! Thanks for posting the link.

Pumpkin said...

Wow! Awesome in the kitchen too! I had better not let my DH meet you ;o)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Good for you for slimming down the recepie! I find a lot of regular cook books just use way too much high fat ingredients!

Julie said...

Yum! they looks tasty!

Michele said...

we enjoy our football around here, but love us some Nascar too and can't wait for this saturday .. racing is back!


sorry about the socks :(