Monday, January 10, 2011

First pair of socks for 2011.

Don't be too impressed though because I started them right after Xmas so they are really a 50% 2010 finish and 50% 2011 finish. :) 

I really should ALWAYS have a simple ribbed pair of socks going on a pair of circular needles because you can really bang these guys out without even trying hard doing them two at a time. I don't know why they seem to 'bend' time doing them that way but they do and it does. (Good grammar be damned. Heh.) 

I just got in another set of #1 circs from Knit Picks so maybe I can stick to that. (Not that it REALLY matters in the long run how many socks I do but I *do* have a veritable MOUNTAIN of sock yarn living in plastic bins under my guest bed. So, you know. It should be used as much as possible. Eye on the prize. Stay focused, etc.)

(Photo credit to Smitten Kitchen )

In totally unrelated news, if you love ribs you REALLY need to check out this recipe from Deb over at Smitten Kitchen. HOLY BE-JAYSUS BOY HOWDY they are good. I mean really really good. I only used one rack of ribs (approx. 2lbs.) so I halved all the spices, cooked them for five hours at 200 degrees (instead of splitting it up at 200/175 over 6 hours) and they were PHENOMENALLY GOOD. You will impress people with your mad cooking skillz good! They are BEYOND easy to make too - you just need to plan ahead so you can get them in the oven before noon if you want to eat them for supper that day. :)

13 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

Beautiful socks...the stripes match up perfectly!

Anonymous said...

Great socks! Love that pattern and color!

Yum ribs! I've read Smitten Kitchen for awhile. Not only are her recipes good, her photography is awesome.

Margaret said...

Gosh, I got so distracted by that rib recipe I almost forgot to comment on your post! lol! Looks so delicious! I'm dreaming of dazzling my family with it at some point.

Love your first socks for 2011. Very pretty! Your seem to be a pro at them for sure!

Cole said...

I love the colors in those socks!!

Thanks for the rib recipe, it looks so yummy. We just had ribs for supper today, I'll have to remember that for next time!

Sylvia said...

The socks are fabulous - I just got done with my first two-at-a-time project ( thanks to your urging), but they were fingerless gloves.... starting them was a bit hairy - at first everything looked like spaghetti, but then things calmed down. I really like getting both done at the same time.

Oh, I am a big Smitten Kitchen fan... love her recipes and her sense of humor. I just made her Butternut Squash with Caramalized Onion Galette on Friday - whoowee was that good.

KarenV said...

Gorgeous socks! I said this year that I wanted to make socks (only ever having made one pair) and it sounds like doing them both at once would be a good idea.

gracie said...

You can never have too many hand knit socks...I still have one of a pair to finish....these are so colorful. I haven't made a pair in awhile...you give me the urge to finish the pair and start another!

Noemi said...

Hi Melanie,
Thanks for following my blog. Please feel free to comment, as I am starting on all this it is very helpful.

Love your socks, love your lampwork! Those little carrots look so great! And definitely I have to try and cook this ribs! They look yummy!!

Noemi

Carol said...

Gorgeous socks, Melanie, and I'm sure I could smell those ribs from here if my darn cold weren't so bad!! Thanks for the link--will definitely be making them for my guys :)

Nancy said...

It doesn't matter when you started or finished your socks, I'm impressed that someone can even knit socks! I love them - beautiful colors!

staci said...

Congrats on finishing such a cute pair of socks!

I'm in the negative sock progress area for this year (I ripped out two in-progress pairs!)

Siobhán said...

Great job on the socks!

Thanks for the recipe--I'm off to check out the blog!

Pumpkin said...

Beautiful colors in these socks! Maybe I should just send you my yarn and you could knit a pair for me ;o)

Oh yum! And right before supper...